Home

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Godt nyttår ♥

January 5, 2012 marks 4 months since I've been on a whole grain, plant based diet.  (Yes, you can call me a Vegan...I'm okay with the 'V' word now).   But, there were times I had to 'cheat' a bit.   Especially when going out to dinner at a friends house (don't want to be rude) or at restaurants (minimal options).  Also, holidays, it just didn't seem right not to have a little slice of turkey on Thanksgiving.    

NEW RULES - 96% VEGAN: So now that the new year is here I have decided to declare myself a 96% VEGAN!   Yes, I can do that, because I just did. HA!  Mostly for practical reasons, as mentioned above, as I do not like to feel like I'm 'cheating' when other options are not available to me.   I also think it will not hinder the health benefits gained from a vegan diet.  

Although I understand the tremendous benefit to the environment and I am sensitive to the humane treatment of animals, this was not what triggered  me to drastically change to a vegan diet.  It was purely for selfish reasons - MY HEALTH!  

September 5th, 2011, was the day I removed meat and dairy from my diet.  It was the day after I watched the documentary 'Forks over Knives'.  Six weeks later I dropped my cholesterol by 27 points!  It dropped under 200 for the first time in years.  And as of today,  I have dropped my weight 8 lbs....and I wasn't even trying since I eat a lot and never feel hungry.  This  has been a good diet for me and I have now made it my lifestyle choice.  Yes, sometimes I miss making those old favorite recipes....but, I plan to make new favorites and hopefully stay healthy into my golden years.

Thanks to 'Forks Over Knives' for motivating me to make the switch.....Thanks to my oldest son and his girlfriend (a vegan chef) for all the great cooking tips. .......  Thanks to my husband for supporting me and incorporating at least a 85% vegan diet for himself.  :-)

Good health to all in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment