Home

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Easter Success

The Easter vegan lasagna came out great! I used Rip Esselstyn’s  “Engine 2  Diet” recipe (see link below), but instead of using just plain tofu (as the recipe states), I made a non-cheese ricotta.   My son told me to hold off making this 'cheese' until he and his girlfriend came over since he favors the taste of her vegan cheese just 'a little' more than mine.    :-/

I think the biggest difference was she added more nutritional yeast than I typically do.   She also adds real garlic rather than garlic and onion powder.   The fresh tomato was a nice touch too.   So together in the kitchen we were adding a little of this and a little of that until it tasted just right.   I think the proportions below are somewhat close to what we used.   Thanks to Jordan!   Her culinary tips did make a difference!

Non-cheese Ricotta

1 cup grated raw cashews - no salt added
4T nutritional yeast
3T lemon juice
3 garlic cloves minced
Olive oil - about 2T
I package firm tofu in water.. Rinse and pat dry
Water, if needed to get right consistency
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
Pepper to taste
Fresh Tomato for color

Blend until smooth and like ricotta.

Sweet Potato Lasagna

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianlasagnarecipes/r/engine2lasagna.htm

I spread the 'ricotta' on at least a couple of the layers.   It was creamy and Delish!   

The vegan cupcakes Jordan made were out of this world.  My brother asked if he could  take a few home.   She made both carrot cake and vanilla.   They were decorated so beautifully.

It was a very nice day and the weather was warm enough to sit outside for a glass of champagne and appetizers prior to dinner.   We had nice conversation and a few laughs.   Only wished my youngest son could have also joined us.



Oh, and yes my husband and brother enjoyed their lamb steaks. Our barbecue malfunctioned, so I pan-seared, then oven roasted them.    Everyone was satisfied and happy!

Thankful for all my blessings.   Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment