Home

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Spilling the Beans!

Well, I've managed to make it through the week only washing my hair twice and letting it air dry into a wavy frizz.   At work, two people noticed my hair looked different.   My boss even said it looked thinner. Lovely!  I called the hairdresser  to get more info on what may have happened as my scalp hurt for three days after she colored it, so I think there is more to this story...but only the hairdresser will ever know for sure.   Meanwhile, I will continue to treat my hair gently.   It doesn't seem to be falling out any more than normal now. 

(Side Note:  With my hair and nails showing the signs of a potential protein deficiency, why does my chin still have no problem growing hair?  This 52 year old woman would like to know!!!)  

Notice how I have already devoted three blog entries to my hair? No, I'm not vain! Not at all! :-/.   But this does seem like a test of my priorities.

Like I said in my last blog, I started eating sardines as a supplement.   I felt desperate.   I ate a total of one 4oz can this week .   I selected sardines in part because of the protein, but also the high vitamin D and B12 content, which is difficult to get on a vegan diet.   Also, it aligns with my Norwegian roots!   My dad's family from Stavanger and my mom’s family from the Oslo area. :)

One can of sardines holds 220% Daily requirement of B12 and over 100% of vitamin D. The down side, the cholesterol content is high, so we will have to see what that does to my cholesterol levels next blood test. This is quite a balancing act.

Now that the lock shock has subsided a bit, I have begun to evaluate my vegan protein intake the last few months.   A woman needs about 46g of protein.   How am I getting sufficient amounts eating a spinach salad every day at lunch? Not easily.   Yes, I do sprinkle some sunflower seeds on top but I would have to eat at least a 1/2 a cup to get 13g of protein.   Since I started my new job, a spinach salad is mostly what I eat and I cut out the beans I used to place on top since, after all, I am at WORK!

I have peanut butter on toast most mornings,  that makes up about 10g of protein and in the evenings lots of veggies with rice/pasta, is typical. Maybe I would get another 10g at best.   So I don't know how I am even close to 46g a day.   I should be eating more tofu, lentils, and quinoa as these are fairly high in protein, and yes, I need to bring back the beans!

Below is a link to sample vegan diets that have sufficient protein intake.   I guess I didn't do my homework well enough prior to starting....but it's not too late.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

For Easter tomorrow, my oldest son and his girlfriend are coming down to help me make my vegan sweet potato lasagna (based on a recipe from Rip Esselstyn's Engine2 diet).   My husband will be barbecuing lamb steaks that my brother and he will enjoy.   We will have a nice large salad as well.

Happy Easter to All ......and Skål!

No comments:

Post a Comment