Home

Sunday, April 1, 2012

This Vegan is Freaking!!!

I went to the hair salon for my usual eight week color and cut pampering.  I happen to mention to my hairdresser that my hair seems a bit thinner than normal. After washing my hair, she asked me if I had thyroid problems (apparently hairdressers are doctors too) and I responded that I have always been within normal limits. She proceeded to say that I was shedding more than usual. When she began styling, a bunch of hair accumulated in her comb!! She then said this would worry her. Okay now I'm freaking! What was supposed to be 2 hours of joy became anxiety ridden.

My beautiful crowning glory! Am I now going bald? My first thoughts were:  Is it the vegan diet? Did I shock my system? Am I getting enough protein? Iron?  Vitamin D? Zinc? I wanted to rush out and eat a steak.  If fact, that  night I dreamt of eating a big roast beef sandwich...and I really enjoyed it.

I searched the Internet for 'vegan hair loss' and many hits came up with woman experiencing similar symptoms after 6 to 9 months of going vegan. I will be 7 months a vegan this week. This isn't helping my anxiety! Okay, do I throw vegan lifestyle out the window to protect my glorious mane (what's left of it) or do I get to the bottom of this and make adjustments?

Am I convinced this hair thinning is because of the vegan diet? After all, I am a 52 year old woman, there could other factors in play here ......Hormonal Chaos!! :-/

Regardless, I need to take immediate action:

1- Make an appointment to have my blood tested for vitamin deficiencies
2- Start introducing supplements: Vegan Protein shakes, green superfood powder, flaxseed oil, use more nutritional yeast in my meals.
3- Treat my hair tenderly:  Don't over wash, over brush, air dry vs. Blow dry.
4- Any suggestions?

If this doesn't start working soon, I may have to introduce a small portion of fish twice a week - such as sardines (after all I'm Norwegian.  I would be supporting my Stavanger roots!). This would still fall within my own 96% vegan guidelines since I have been mostly 100% vegan all this time.

Check Out these articles on sardine benefits

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment